Table of Contents
IGP Resources for Growing in Spiritual Formation
This document is a work in progress. Feel free to add any resources that may help promote growth in any of the areas listed (or send your suggestions to a Wiki administrator.)
(clarity and understanding; corporate calling; personal calling)
- The book The Calling Journey: Mapping the Stages of a Leader's Life Call by Tony Stoltzfus. “The Calling Journey” looks at the life of Joseph as a model of how God often prepares and calls leaders, and tracks the place and value of the valleys in our lives - those times when we think that we are not making any headway at all in our pursuit of God's call on our lives. At the book's website, http://www.thecallingjourney.com, you can chart the history of your own calling using the framework outlined by the book.
- Who, Me? Reluctant leadership and the progressive nature of God's call. Article by Warren Janzen.
- The book “Who is my Neighbor?: Being a Good Samaritan in a Connected World” by Steve Moore.
- Spiritual Gifts Test: to help you find out what your spiritual gifts are
Community / Body Life
(committed to a local body, understanding one’s ministry role, receiving ministry from others, encouraging & loving others)
- Basic Strategies for Authentic Christian Community > from smallgroups.com
(toward God; toward others)
- Growing in Gratitude - a 30-day challenge from “Revive our Hearts”
Holiness & Purity
(surrender; obedience; experiencing forgiveness; moral purity; dealing with temptation)
- You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions by Tim Chester. Recommended by Jacob Ginter. “discipleship that gets to the heart of the matter… not formulaic”
- Heart of the Problem: When You're Tired of 'Just Coping' with Your Struggles and Want to Find a Cure, You're Ready to Face the.. by Henry Brandt and Kerry Skinner. Recommended by John Paetkau.
- Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love by Jerry Bridges. Recommended by Ken Z.. “Great book to help us understand the enabling power of grace and the transforming work of grace. Much of this book exposed my own legalistic tendencies and pointed me to the finished work of Christ (like most of Bridges' books).”
- Broken-Down House: book by Paul Tripp
- Seeing the larger picture > an article by Dr. Evan Parks on how people change
- Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. Recommended by Andy Spradley. “A unique and very insightful look at the Sermon on the Mount. Seeks to inspire the reader to live a “God-saturated life”. Richard Foster (author of Celebration of Discipline) called it “the book I have been waiting for all my life”. A rich book for personal spiritual growth and reflection. I'm being inspired even more as I read it through for the 2nd time.”
- Hazards of Being a Man: Overcoming 12 Challenges All Men Face by Jeffery E. Miller. Audio series also available as well as discussion guides. Recommended by Ron Redell. “Each entry in the series focuses on a different challenges that men face through eyes of Old Testament lives. All of the examples that Pastor Miller uses are negative examples so that we can learn from their failures.”
- Counselling Resources at Christian Counselling and Educational Foundation, particularly articles by David Powlison, recommended by Jim Gabriels.
(read entire Bible; regular devotional reading; memorization; meditation; study; familiarity)
- Wisdom Hunters Daily Devotional (sent by email). Recommended by Deb Davis
- Biblegateway Bible Reading Plans > a variety of Bible reading plans available in many different translations
- Bible Study Tools: Growing deeper in the Word
- S.O.A.P.: Bible reading and journalling
- Personal Growth: SEND U wiki resources
Submissiveness & Accountability
(to God; to leadership/authority; to one another)
- Unhappy with leadership? blog post by Ken Guenther
(Sabbath; rest; solitude; silence; journaling; spiritual retreats)
- The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath > book by Mark Buchanan. Recommended by Warren Janzen at 2009 Leadership Couples' Orientation. Book summary.
- Day Alone with God > a guide developed for the Member Orientation Program
- Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing by C. J. Mahaney. Recommended by Ken Z. “A small book, quick read, that reminds me of some very central Gospel truths…a book that I actually re-read once a year. Really has helped me to preach the Gospel to myself and refreshes me in the completed work of Christ and how that applies to my life as well as my ministry to others.”
- Suggestions for Nurturing Intimacy with Christ > a compilation of suggestions from those attending MOP 2000 - 2014
- Spiritual Formation resources > many resources shared with MOP participants
(awareness; spiritual armor; praying against forces of darkness)
- Paul Hiebert's Excluded Middle blog post by Gary Ridley
Walking in the Spirit
(dependence; displaying fruit of the Spirit; power for ministry; perseverance)
- Renovation of the Heart Video Curriculum by Dallas Willard, being used by our East Asia teams