Table of Contents
Member Orientation Program Reading List
Updated December 2021. Download the list with checkboxes that you will submit to your sending office at this link.
For a Spanish reading list, click here.
For a reading list with some German titles, click here.
General Pre-field reading
Regardless of your future field of service or ministry, we expect that all new SEND appointees will read the following books before you leave for your field of service:
SEND history – read the following book by one of SEND’s retired missionaries.
- Through open doors: a history of SEND International by Mildred Morehouse. Purchase used copy online or ask SEND office to borrow a copy.
Spiritual Life/ Disciplines – Read one of the following books:
- The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives by Dallas Willard
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney
- Spiritual Warfare: The Battle for God's Gloryby Jerry Rankin
Engaging & Establishing – Read one of the following books:
- I Once Was Lost: What Postmodern Skeptics Taught Us About Their Path to Jesus by Don Everts and Doug Schaupp
- Global Church Planting: Biblical Principles and Best Practices for Multiplication by Craig Ott and Gene Wilson
Marriage / Family / Singles – Choose and read at least one of the following:
- Missionary Marriage Issueshttp://missionarycare.com/download-marriage-ebook.htmlby Ronald L. Koteskey (free download)
- What Missionaries Ought to Know: A Handbook for Life and Service by Ronald L. Koteskey (free download)
- Third Culture Kids: The Experience of Growing Up Among Worldsby David Pollock and Ruth Van Reken
- Single Mission:Thriving as a Single Person in Cross-cultural Ministry by Debbie Hawker and Tim Herbert.
Cultural Adjustment - Read the following book:
- Cross-Cultural Connections: Stepping Out and Fitting In Around the World by Duane Elmer. Much of this book was read during MOP online, but read the rest of the chapters now.
- Leading with Cultural Intelligence: The Real Secret to Success by David A. Livermore
Country-Specific Reading Lists:
Besides this general reading list, each of you will also have a country-specific reading list. Each SEND receiving country provides a list of books, articles and/or videos that will be helpful in understanding the history, culture and ministry challenges in that particular country. You can find the list of resources on the SEND U wiki under Country reading lists. If you cannot find a book or video, please contact the country field leader. From the list provided you should complete a minimum of 400 pages of reading. Field-specific reading is also to be completed by appointees before their first departure for the field.
back to the general MOP page