Table of Contents
Healing from Trauma, Loss, and Grief
- The Little Book of Trauma Healing: When Violence Strikes and Community Is Threatened by Carolyn Yoder, a trainer with STAR (Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience). Not specifically faith-based but robust training in the trauma of war.
- Beyond Disaster workbook - a guide for spiritual first aid for people who have survived (or are surviving) natural or human-caused disasters. Work through it as part of your personal journaling time. It is also translated into Ukrainian and Russian. This PDF download offers 1) Strategies to cope in the short term, 2) Guidance on what to expect during the process of recovery, 3) Resources to begin a journey toward emotional and spiritual healing. Based on the globally-proven model of the Trauma Healing Institute, this download integrates best practices in mental health into a biblical framework.
- When God Interrupts: Finding New Life Through Unwanted Change by M. Craig Barnes
- What You Can Say When You Don’t Know What to Say: Reaching Out to Those Who Hurt by Lauren Littauer Briggs
- Praying the Psalms, Second Edition: Engaging Scripture and the Life of the Spirit by Walter Brueggemann
- When God Weeps by Joni Eareckson Tada and Steve Estes
- Life and Loss: A Guide to Help Grieving Children by Linda Goldman
- Take Me Home (Living Books) by Bonnie Jamison
- Working it Through by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis
- On Wings of Mourning: Our Journey through Grief and Recovery by Carol a. Rowley
- A Grace Disguised: How the Soul Grows through Loss by Jerry L. Sittser
- A Decembered Grief: Living with Loss While Others are Celebrating by Harold Ivan Smith
- The Unwanted Gift of Grief: A Ministry Approach by Tim P. Van Duivendyk and John Claypool
- Good Grief: A Companion for Every Loss by Granger E. Westberg
- Recovering from the Losses of Life by H. Norman Rice
- Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud by Philip Yancey
- A Sacred Sorrow: Reaching Out to God in the Lost Language of Lament by Michael Card and Eugene Peterson
Biblical based blogs that help the weary walk through times of suffering and pain
- Desiring God blog often includes articles related to grief and suffering and overcoming anxiety with articles that are rooted in God's goodness, sovereignty, and all-sufficient grace).
- Joni & Friends blog has lessons along the way on the suffering road from the experience and life of Joni Eareckson Tada a quadriplegic, who has been encouraging others for 30 years.
Helping others deal with Trauma and Loss
- ProQOL: is the most commonly used measure of the negative and positive effects of helping others who experience suffering and trauma. The ProQOL has sub-scales for compassion satisfaction, burnout, and compassion fatigue.
- Trauma & Resilience: A Handbook- Effectively Supporting Those Who Serve God__ edited by Frauke & Charlie Schaefer, April 2015 (Barnabas International)
Suffering with God's Strength
Books related to grief, suffering, and God’s sovereignty. Not books that talk about how to “remove the pain”, but walking through it with God's strength and with his perspective.
- Suffering is Never for Nothing by Elizabeth Elliot, who is no stranger to suffering. Her first husband, Jim, was murdered by the Waoroni people in Ecuador moments after he arrived in hopes of sharing the gospel. Her second husband was lost to cancer. Yet, it was in her deepest suffering that she learned the deepest lessons about God. She shares those lessons in this book.
- A Path Through Suffering by Elizabeth Elliot, who shares that there is only one reliable path through pain and suffering, and if you walk it, you will experience the transformation of all your losses, heartbreaks, and tragedies into something strong and purposeful.
- Suffering by Paul David Tripp, who weaves together his personal story, a recent time of deep suffering, years of counseling experience, and biblical insights to help us in the midst of suffering, identifying six traps to avoid - including doubt, discouragement, and denial - and six comforts to embrace - including God’s presence, God’s people, and God’s grace.
- The Scars That Have Shaped Me: How God Meets Us in Suffering by Vaneetha Rendall Risner. Twenty-one surgeries by age thirteen. Years in the hospital. Verbal and physical bullying from schoolmates. Multiple miscarriages as a young wife. The death of a child. A debilitating progressive disease. Riveting pain. Abandonment. Vaneetha Rendall Risner begged God for grace that would deliver her. But God offered something better: his sustaining grace. In The Scars That Have Shaped Me, Vaneetha does more than share her stories of pain; she invites other sufferers to taste with her the goodness of a sovereign God who will carry us in our darkest of days.
- New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp, this is setup as a daily devotional, but often the entries are centered on the trials of life and the sovereignty of God and his sufficient grace. These are all gospel-soaked messages that take you through a year.
- A Place of Healing by Joni Eareckson Tada, this is an account of her current struggle (40 years since her accident) with physical pain, offers her perspective on divine healing, God’s purposes, and what it means to live with joy in spite of pain and suffering.
- Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy by Mark Vroegop. A book to help us to recover the practice of honest spiritual struggle that gives us permission to vocalize our pain and wrestle with our sorrow. Lament avoids trite answers and quick solutions, progressively moving us toward deeper worship and trust. Lament is how you live between the poles of a hard life and trusting God's goodness. This book gives a very good foundation for the purpose and goal of biblcal lament as it walks through several psalms of lament and also the book of Lamentations. Lament is how we bring our sorrow to God - but it is a neglected dimension of the Christian life for many Christians today.
- None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God by Matthew Barrett, this book helps us to put God back in his place…as God. Barrett says that for too long, Christians have domesticated God, bringing him down to our level as if he is a God who can be tamed. But he is a God who is high and lifted up, the Creator rather than the creature, someone than whom none greater can be conceived. This book is a journey to rediscover the divine perfections of God.
- Strength for the Weary by Derek Thomas. Thomas explores the final chapters of Isaiah, laying out the remarkable promises that God makes to His people. In these pages, there is consolation in the struggles of this life and encouragement for the road ahead. The God of Comfort has promised to be with His people always. This promise is better than God just removing our problems, instead, he walks with us through them.
- 31 Days Towards Trusting God by Jerry Bridges. It’s easy to trust God when everything is going well. But when adversity strikes—do you wonder if God cares or if He’s even there at all? In this 31-day devotional, author Jerry Bridges tackles the doctrine of God’s sovereignty. These daily readings set the biblical foundation for the essential goodness of His character.
- Walking with God Through Pain and Suffering by Tim Keller, is the definitive Christian book on why bad things happen and how we should respond to them.
- see also resources on Trauma and Grief in the Northern Ministry Training Guide.
Training in Trauma care
See this wiki page for SEND U recommended training resources in trauma care.
- Crisis Care Training International - focused particularly on training caregivers for children who have experienced trauma from crisis experiences.
- See this wiki page
- Vodcast #6 of Alanna Brown’s Bathrobe Benedictions - Watch Ann Smith from Trauma Free World talk about how trauma affects us, and how we can be more sensitive and helpful to those have experienced trauma. She also gives some great thoughts on how to avoid burnout.
- Watch TFW's training videos for free on YouTube. Session 1.
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Curt Thompson's Being Known Podcast. Season 4 is about Trauma https://www.beingknownpodcast.com/